Agios Georgios Church

The church of Agios Georgios (St. George) was built in 1886 and is a one-aisled basilica. The date of 1886 is in the iron skylight of the southern entrance of the church.

Its size is significantly larger than the churchs of the Ottoman period, but also significantly smaller than the Gothic monuments. It is the introduction of a new type of church both in type and scale, but also in morphological elements. The top of the church is rectangular, with the altar protruding to the east and five-sided. Its original bell tower was small and artistic and was replaced by the existing one in 1922.

The hagiographies (murals of Saints) of the altar of the church were painted in 1980 and completed in 1994. After the establishment of the Holy Metropolis of Morphou in the village, the church of Agios Georgios is also the Metropolitan Church.

The memory of Agios Georgios is celebrated on April 23rd.

To arrange a visit to the church, please contact Neocorro Rogiros Savvides on (+357) 99-212945.