Agios Sozomenos (Saviour) Church
The church of Agios Sozomenos is located in the centre of the old village of Galata. It was built and frescoed in 1513, with the financial support of fourteen inhabitants of the village. Their names, as well as the professions of some of them, refer to the landmark, which is located above the western entrance of the church.
The church of Agios Sozomenos belongs to the one-aisled wooden churches. The roof extends beyond the building of the church from the south, west and north, forming a P-shaped gallery. The entrance is on the north side of the church. The outer side of the north wall of the church is frescoed, a feature that dates back to the 16th century.
Saint Savior was Cypriot and was a bishop of Karpasi. In the church there is the reliquary where the relics of the Saint are kept. His memory is celebrated on November 20th.
To arrange a visit to the church, please contact Kyriakos Charalambous on (+357) 99-720918.