Church of Panagia Asinou
The church of Panagias Forviotissas, better known as Panagia Asinou, is built southwest of Nikitari village. It is the main church of the Monastery ton Forvion, from where its name comes. In an inscription dated around 1105/6 located above the southern entrance of the church, it is reported that the founder of the Monastery was the magistrate Nikiforos Styrios, who later became the monk, Nikolaos. The founding of the Monastery dates back to 1099 and continued to operate during the Ottoman domination until the end of the 18th century when it was abandoned.
The church consists of two parts: the one-aisled vaulted ceiling and the narthex, which was added in the second half of the 12th century. The lateral walls of the narthex end in an arch, which are considered to be an influence of Constantinople. Already in the 12th century the church was covered with a second wooden roof, laid on flat, tiled roofs. Nowadays no traces remain from the rest of the monastic buildings.
The church celebrates on Easter Tuesday, and since 1985 it has been included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Tel.: +357 99 83 03 29
Working hours:
Daily
09: 30-17: 00 (May-August)
09: 30-16: 30 (September-October)
09: 30-16: 00 (November-April)
Location
Churches
Apostolou Louka Church
The church of Apostolou Louka is on a hill and is the first church that you find when you enter the village of Korakou. In the northern entrance of the church, on a stone slab, the date of its construction is carved, 1697. It is a unified church with a
Archangelou Michael Church
The Archangelos Michael church is built in the village of Pedoulas in the valley of Marathasa, opposite the Byzantine Museum. It is one-aisled, wooden-roofed, with a semicircular arch that protrudes to the east. The lower part of the arch is placed on
Chapel of Prophet Elias
Prophet Elias was a sea man but was bored at sea and decided to go up in the mountains. That is why he became the saint of the mountaintops. The chapel of Prophet Elias is built on the hill with his name, in a location with great views. It was built in
Church of Agia Irini
The main church of the village is dedicated to Saint Irene and is located in the centre of the village. It was built in the 16th century but was destroyed by fire and rebuilt in 1910. All that had been saved from the fire was an arch. It is a small one
Church of Agia Marina
The church of Agia Marina was built in 1872 and is located in the centre of Evrychou village. It is the type of single-aisled basilica, which is covered with a simplified form of arched arches and cross-shaped elements that have been established during
Church of Agia Paraskevi
The main church of the Tembria community is dedicated to Agia Paraskevi and is located in the centre of the community, within walking distance of the Primary School. It was built in 1872, as appears on the inscription above the entrance of the church.
Church of Agios Dimitrianos
The temple of Agios Dimitrianos was built in the early 19th century and is located in the center of Flassou village, among its traditional houses. The church is a one-aisled basilica, which is covered in a simplified form of arched arches and crosses.
Church of Agios Nikolaos tis Stegis (St. Nicholas of the Shelter)
On the right bank of the River Karfotis, in a tree-lined mountainous area, just outside the village of Kakopetria, lies the church dedicated to Agios Nikolaos tis Stegis. Since 1985, along with nine other frescoed Byzantine churches of Troodos, it has