In the village of Kalopanagiotis located in the valley of Marathasa, which was created by the Setrachos river, lies one of the best preserved watermills of the island. Originally belonging to the Kykkos Monastery, they called it ‘The Kykkos Watermill’.
It is one of the most valuable monuments of Kalopanayiotis and attracts many visitors. Located one kilometre south of the Monastery of Agios Ioannis Lampadistis, in a lush green environment.
The whole complex of buildings that are made up of it are still preseved and are all stone-built with stone from the river. Above a tall arch passes the stream that brought water to the tall tower, from where it dropped with force to the lowest point of the mill in a hulking space. The house with the heavy millstones (of French construction), the shafts and the benches, are located in front of the arch at a lower level. Above the key of the arch of the mill on the south side, there is a square stone with a cross, inscription and embossed mask, probably to ward off the ‘evil eye’.
Next to the mill house, to the south, there is a two-storey house where, travellers from from afar stopped to rest and water their mules and donkeys waiting for their turn to grind wheat or barley. For years, the Watermill served the Monks of Kykkos, the inhabitants of Kalopanayiotis, Moutoullas, Ikos, Gerakia and other villages.
The last watermill of Kalopanayiotis stopped working in 1953.