The mining history of Cyprus has linked its name (Cyprus) to copper (Cuprous). Copper production in Cyprus began before 3000 BC. and vertically integrated. The exploitation of the copper ore of Skouriotissa is lost in the depths of the centuries, possibly dating to the Chalcolithic period.
The Fukasa deposit was identified and partially exploited by the ancients. This is documented by piles of ancient rust (around 2,000,000 tons), as well as by ancient caverns found during the exploitation of their field in recent times. At the entrance to one of the main caverns of the mine, large piles of fragments of amphorae of Roman times were found.
The systematic exploitation of the listed deposits in the newer years begins in 1921 and continues until today. Both underground and terrestrial methods of mining were used. Today it is the only active mine in Cyprus and continues to produce copper cathodes by applying the method of extraction of heap-extraction with organic solvent-electric transfer.
Skouriotissa’s sites are connected, like all the sulphur sites in Cyprus, to the Troodos grip column. The site is at the top of the row, part of which is covered by ocher or umbra without the insertion of a handle mattress.
The mine is open to the public a few times a year during cultural events. Within walking distance of the mine there is also an interesting museum for the mine, which highlights the mining activity of the area.