The Church of Metamorfoseos tou Sotiros (Transfiguration of the Savior)
The Church of Metamorfoseos tou Sotiros is located on the hill, west of the village of Palaichori, in the area of Pitsilia, at the foot of the Troodos mountain range. Its foundation dates back to the early 16th century. It was incorporated in December 2001 in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
It is a church built in the type of wood-framed temples that we find in the Troodos Mountains. Later in the early 17th century, a narthex in the form of a cavern was added to the southwest, and the whole church is housed under a single roof, covered with traditional hooked tiles.
The frescoes have effects from different styles. The Secret Supper and the Prayer in the Garden are from the Macedonian Era, while the characteristics of the two bandits during the Crucifixion have a semiauthentic style and have influences from the West. The Society of the Apostles is one of the two examples in Cyprus that have been saved. The sacrifice of the Divine Infant is characteristic of Cyprus alone. The frescoes of the southern corner with St. George and Demetrios riding together, are the only version in existence in Cyprus.
The few frescoes in the narthex differ substantially from those of the main church and date back to 1612. The temple’s wood-carved temple dates back to 1704.