The Church of Panagias Odigitrias (Mother Mary the Guide)

The church of Panagia Odigitria is located in the centre of the village. It was built in 1930 with donations and volunteer work by community residents and other pious Christians and thanks to them was completed within a year and a half. In this place of the church there existed another smaller church, probably of the 15th century. The increase in community population and the scarcity of space required the construction of a larger church. So the old little church was demolished and a large imposing church, today, was built in its place. All the furnishings of the church were made by donations from the local, especially monks, serving in the various monasteries of the region.

The Metropolitan of Kyrenia, Makarios II, used to call this church “little Phaneromeni” to emphasize its majesty, resembling it to the one in Nicosia.

The landmark inscribed on the northern entrance, mentions the names of the founders “Euripides Georgiadis and his wife Anna”, the metropolitan of Kyrenia Makarios “and the acquisition year 1930.

The interior decoration of the church is very rich and imposing. It is divided into three aisles with two rows of columns and a dome. The interior decoration of the church is rich and imposing and bold with hagiographies.

In the sacristy of the church are kept various sacraments and vestments, such as covers, ancient buckles, censers, crosses, a gospel from 1745, etc.

Many Byzantine icons, which apparently belonged to the iconostasis of the older church, are also preserved in the church.

To arrange a visit to the church, please contact Kyriakos Charalambous on (+357) 99-720918.