Hydroelectric Plant
The Kakopetria hydroelectric plant was first operated in 1926 by Christoforos Vassiliou and used water as its source of energy. He owes his creation to the vision and initiative of local, Christos Vassiliou.
Gradually, the use of diesel engines for the production of electricity was extended to the village, which for a while operated alongside the hydroelectric power plant. In the summer months, when the water flow to the hydroelectric power station was reduced, diesel engines were used, while in the winter months electricity was generated from the hydroelectric power station.
The generation of electricity with water is a unique phenomenon for the history of electricity on the island. Nowadays, the competent authority for electricity, the Electricity Authority of Cyprus, in cooperation with the Kakopetria Community Council, is trying to save the hydroelectric power station in the area. As part of this effort, various mechanical parts of the station are repaired and replaced, with the ultimate goal of its complete restoration. Plans also include turning it into a museum.
Location
Monuments
Markos Drakou Monument
Markos Drakos was born in Lefka in 1932 and studied at the Samuel School. He was one of the first called to fight in the National Organization of Cypriot Fighters (EOKA), which fought against British colonialism. On the 1st of April, 1955, the official
Monument of the 256 Infantry Battalion
The 256 Infantry Battalion had its headquarters, after the invasion, in Evrychou. National guards from all corners of Cyprus served it and played a decisive role in the main fronts of the battles. On August 6, and while the truce was agreed, the men of
O Mylos tis Gonias (The Corner Mill)
The abundant waters of Kakopetria, Karkotis and Garillis, gave the necessity for the construction of watermills. O Mylos tis Gonias was one of them. It was built above the main road, on the left bank of the river Agios Nikolaos – a tributary of the Kar
Pafitena’s Olive Mill
The traditional Pafitena’s Olive Mill is located in the centre of Spilia village. It was built in the last century, as evidenced by its press, which is engraved with the date of 1894. It belonged to Katerina Koutsoloizi (Pafitena) from Spilia, wife of









