Hydroelectric Plant
The Kakopetria hydroelectric plant was first operated in 1926 by Christoforos Vassiliou and used water as its source of energy. He owes his creation to the vision and initiative of local, Christos Vassiliou.
Gradually, the use of diesel engines for the production of electricity was extended to the village, which for a while operated alongside the hydroelectric power plant. In the summer months, when the water flow to the hydroelectric power station was reduced, diesel engines were used, while in the winter months electricity was generated from the hydroelectric power station.
The generation of electricity with water is a unique phenomenon for the history of electricity on the island. Nowadays, the competent authority for electricity, the Electricity Authority of Cyprus, in cooperation with the Kakopetria Community Council, is trying to save the hydroelectric power station in the area. As part of this effort, various mechanical parts of the station are repaired and replaced, with the ultimate goal of its complete restoration. Plans also include turning it into a museum.
Location
Monuments
Panayiotis Toumazos Statue
The statue of the fighter in the National Liberation Struggle of 1955-1959, Panayiotis Toumazos is located in Saranta-Mili Area on the Kakopetria-Troodos road, near his place of death and is made entirely of bronze. The unveiling of the monument was ca
Petra tou Androgynou (Androgyne Stone)
At the entrance of Old Kakopetria, near the uphill road that leads to the church of Metamorphosis, stands a large stone, known as Petra tou Androgynou. According to the tradition, every newly married couple had to walk around, sit down on it, and from
Poyiatzis Water Fountain
The Poyatzis fountain is very close to the Folk Art Museum and the chapel of Agios Georgios. It is an arched fountain that carries a wall plate from the year 1733. Descending a few steps, you can see the fountain from which a small icy brook passes, it
Rodous’s Watermill
The Watermill of Rodou is one of the two watermills located in the village of Galata. It was formerly owned by the Monastery of Podithou and was restored in 2002. It is preserved as a museum by the community. It consists of two imposing towering arches









