Kosti Giannaki Watermill
In Cyprus until the 1950s water mills were used for the grinding of wheat. There were hundreds of watermills on the island, of which they are still in good standing for over forty, scattered in many of the valleys of the island.
The oldest known reference to the watermills is in a document of the 12th century. which refers to the assets of the monastery of the Virgin Mary of Krineon in the village of Lithikos next to Vasileia.
In the Molos area lies one of the two perfectly preserved watermills, the watermill of Kosti Giannaki.
These watermills are usually stone-built water towers, tall, rectangular, square or circular. The grooves leading to the pit are supported by arches or walls with trusses. It consists of an oblong one-storied, the long or two-room with beams or arches and a flat roof. The impeller is usually horizontal, wooden and later iron.
It is important for a place where conditions require proper management and water-saving to have hydraulic infrastructure plans for the collection, storage and distribution of water. This is an integral part of the once-high-tech mill, including dams, tanks, grooves, watercourses, pits, etc…
Location
Monuments
Markos Drakou Monument
Markos Drakos was born in Lefka in 1932 and studied at the Samuel School. He was one of the first called to fight in the National Organization of Cypriot Fighters (EOKA), which fought against British colonialism. On the 1st of April, 1955, the official
Monument of the 256 Infantry Battalion
The 256 Infantry Battalion had its headquarters, after the invasion, in Evrychou. National guards from all corners of Cyprus served it and played a decisive role in the main fronts of the battles. On August 6, and while the truce was agreed, the men of
O Mylos tis Gonias (The Corner Mill)
The abundant waters of Kakopetria, Karkotis and Garillis, gave the necessity for the construction of watermills. O Mylos tis Gonias was one of them. It was built above the main road, on the left bank of the river Agios Nikolaos – a tributary of the Kar
Pafitena’s Olive Mill
The traditional Pafitena’s Olive Mill is located in the centre of Spilia village. It was built in the last century, as evidenced by its press, which is engraved with the date of 1894. It belonged to Katerina Koutsoloizi (Pafitena) from Spilia, wife of









