Byzantine Museum

The Byzantine Museum of Pedoulas has been operating since 1999 in the old primary school of the village and is located near the church of Archangel Michael.

The collection consists mainly of icons and ecclesiastical artifacts dating from the 12th to the 20th centuries. The items were brought from the six Byzantine and post-Byzantine churches of Pedoulas. Some of the oldest icons of the collection are Panagia Odigitria (13th century), Panagia Eleousa (14th century) and the icon of Saint George the dragon slayer, with scenes of his life on the sidelines, coming from the St. George church (14th century). Most important to mention are both the icons of Panagia Odigitria and Archangel Michael (ca. 1474) of local icon painter Minas, who also hagiographed the famous church of Archangel Michael.

The collection of ecclesiastical utensils of the museum includes candles, censers, communion ties, silver crosses and reliquaries, and a decorated Holy Communion tray. Of particular interest is a silver Bilble cover of 1778 with iconographic types of the school of the Monastery of Agios Iraklidios. Finally, in two floorboard compartments, there are sheets of Byzantine manuscripts of functional content and printed ecclesiastical books displayed, such as gospels and pamphlets, on some of which there are handwritten notes with valuable information on the cultural history of the area.

Contact info
Address: 10 Archangelos Michail Street, 2850 Pedoulas Nicosia
Phone / Fax: +357 22953636
Opening Period: All year round
Opening hours: Tuesday – Sunday 10:00 – 16:00

Location

Museums - Exhibits

Font Resize
image-footer