Agios Georgios (St. George) Chapel
On the road connecting Galata with Kakopetria, stands the chapel of Agios Georgios. Contrary to other chapels, it sits towards the north to the south. Testimonies say that the main reason for this direction was because it was built in winter when the sun rises from the south. The lower parts of the church walls are built with raw stones and mud, while the upper parts are built with raw bricks.
The church consists of the main church and the splint, which, unlike other churchs in the area, is much smaller. The dimensions of the splint are 2.63 x 3.22 metres and the dimensions of the main church are 6x3 metres.
Its one mural is located on the northern wall, near the row of icons. It is quite large and depicts Saint George killing the dragon. It also has the inscription “St. George from Galata”. Also depicted on the mural are scenes of the suffering of the Saint. It is probably a work from the 16th century.
The iconostasis is not carved and seems to have been built at a later time. The icons are in poor condition, they are considered works of the 16th or early 17th century.
The 23rd of April is when the divine service for Saint George is held.
To arrange a visit to the church, please contact Kyriakos Charalambous on (+357) 99-720918.
Location
Monasteries - Chapels
Chapel of the Holy Cross
The chapel of the Holy Cross is built in a prominent position and specifically on a hill from where you can enjoy a view of the whole village, but also a large part of the Elia valley. The chapel was built in 1625. It is single-aisled, built with local
Holy Monastery of Panagia Chrysokourdalliotissa
The Holy Monastery of Panagia Chrysokourdaliotissa is located in the village of Kourdali in the beautiful area of Solea. The Monastery was built by the Kourdali family, led by priest Leo Kourdalis and his relative, high priest Ioannis Kourdalis, and
Kykkos Monastery
Kykkos Monastery is one of the three largest and most historic Sacred Monasteries of Cyprus, belonging to the Church of Cyprus. In the Monastery there is the well-known icon of Panagia Eleousa (of Kykkos), which presents the Virgin Mary on the right, w
Monastery of Agios Ioannis tou Lampadisti (St. John the Light Bearer)
The Monastery of Agios Ioannis Lambadistis is located on the right bank of the Setrachou river, which is the most famous river of Marathasa and is a composition of various building work belonging to different time periods. The oldest building is in the
Osiou Seraphim tou Sarof Monastery
At the end of the Solea valley, in the green area of Exinta (Sixty) of Skouriotissa, there is the Holy retreat of Holy Seraphim of Sarof. The Retreat was renovated in 2001 to accommodate the Russian Emperor Father Ambrosios Gorelov, since the Police St
The Chapel of Panagia Kousouliotissa
The Kousuliotissa chapel is estimated to have been built, according to book testimonies, around the 18th century. The monastery is mentioned for the first time by the Russian monk Vasil Grigorovich-Barsky, who visited it in 1735. It is located east of













