Agios Nikolaos (St. Nicholas) Chapel
This is the first Byzantine church one will encounter entering Galata village, on the east side of the road. The chapel of Saint Nicholas dates back to the 15th century. It is also the same period as the rest of the churchs in the area. It is a one-aisled rectangular church with internal dimensions of 7x3,63 metres.
The church is built with rough stones and mud. The walls of the church have a thickness of 0.58 – 0.60 metres and a height of 2.34 – 2.36 metres. The floor is paved with bricks.
From the northern wall full of religious murals, only the figures of three monks are preserved. The two, whose names were preserved, are Saint Andronikos Saint Vechianos. They date back to the first half of the 16th century.
The Galata community has a total of six Byzantine churches with pyramidal roofs and rectangular tiles, a result of an outstanding cultural heritage.
The chapel celebrates on 6 December, a day devoted to the memory of St. Nicholas.
To arrange a visit to the church, please contact Kyriakos Charalambous on (+357) 99-720918.
Location
Monasteries - Chapels
Chapel of the Holy Cross
The chapel of the Holy Cross is built in a prominent position and specifically on a hill from where you can enjoy a view of the whole village, but also a large part of the Elia valley. The chapel was built in 1625. It is single-aisled, built with local
Holy Monastery of Panagia Chrysokourdalliotissa
The Holy Monastery of Panagia Chrysokourdaliotissa is located in the village of Kourdali in the beautiful area of Solea. The Monastery was built by the Kourdali family, led by priest Leo Kourdalis and his relative, high priest Ioannis Kourdalis, and
Kykkos Monastery
Kykkos Monastery is one of the three largest and most historic Sacred Monasteries of Cyprus, belonging to the Church of Cyprus. In the Monastery there is the well-known icon of Panagia Eleousa (of Kykkos), which presents the Virgin Mary on the right, w
Monastery of Agios Ioannis tou Lampadisti (St. John the Light Bearer)
The Monastery of Agios Ioannis Lambadistis is located on the right bank of the Setrachou river, which is the most famous river of Marathasa and is a composition of various building work belonging to different time periods. The oldest building is in the
Osiou Seraphim tou Sarof Monastery
At the end of the Solea valley, in the green area of Exinta (Sixty) of Skouriotissa, there is the Holy retreat of Holy Seraphim of Sarof. The Retreat was renovated in 2001 to accommodate the Russian Emperor Father Ambrosios Gorelov, since the Police St
The Chapel of Panagia Kousouliotissa
The Kousuliotissa chapel is estimated to have been built, according to book testimonies, around the 18th century. The monastery is mentioned for the first time by the Russian monk Vasil Grigorovich-Barsky, who visited it in 1735. It is located east of











