Church of the Timios Stavros (Holy Cross)
The church of the Timios Stavros (Holy Cross) is located at the exit of the Community of Tembria, on the road to Korakou-Evrychou on the top of a hill overlooking the mountain. Tradition connects its building with the discovery and transfer of the Cross from the village of Lampados, which is located between the villages of Sina Oros and Galata. The church of Timios Stavros was built at the point where the Cross became too heavy during its transfer. It is a 16th-century building that architecturally belongs to the type of wood-roofed basilica. It measures 5 x 15 meters.
The original building – the 16th-century – had some additions in the 18th century, but also renovation works in 1994 and 2010. Specifically, in 1994, the roof was completely replaced, while in 2010, both maintenance of the wood work, the installation of a new floor with old gypsum tiles and restoration of the exterior wall. Unfortunately, the date of the inauguration of the church remains unknown.
Inside, the church is adorned with a wooden, carved 18th-century iconostasis, the creator of which is unknown. The icons inside the church are older than the 16th century, although the church was not built on the foundations of an earlier church to justify the chronology of the icons. Some say that the icons were transferred from the church of St. George that existed in Pera Gitonia and was demolished.
Location
Churches
Apostolou Louka Church
The church of Apostolou Louka is on a hill and is the first church that you find when you enter the village of Korakou. In the northern entrance of the church, on a stone slab, the date of its construction is carved, 1697. It is a unified church with a
Archangelou Michael Church
The Archangelos Michael church is built in the village of Pedoulas in the valley of Marathasa, opposite the Byzantine Museum. It is one-aisled, wooden-roofed, with a semicircular arch that protrudes to the east. The lower part of the arch is placed on
Chapel of Prophet Elias
Prophet Elias was a sea man but was bored at sea and decided to go up in the mountains. That is why he became the saint of the mountaintops. The chapel of Prophet Elias is built on the hill with his name, in a location with great views. It was built in
Church of Agia Irini
The main church of the village is dedicated to Saint Irene and is located in the centre of the village. It was built in the 16th century but was destroyed by fire and rebuilt in 1910. All that had been saved from the fire was an arch. It is a small one
Church of Agia Marina
The church of Agia Marina was built in 1872 and is located in the centre of Evrychou village. It is the type of single-aisled basilica, which is covered with a simplified form of arched arches and cross-shaped elements that have been established during
Church of Agia Paraskevi
The main church of the Tembria community is dedicated to Agia Paraskevi and is located in the centre of the community, within walking distance of the Primary School. It was built in 1872, as appears on the inscription above the entrance of the church.
Church of Agios Dimitrianos
The temple of Agios Dimitrianos was built in the early 19th century and is located in the center of Flassou village, among its traditional houses. The church is a one-aisled basilica, which is covered in a simplified form of arched arches and crosses.
Church of Agios Nikolaos tis Stegis (St. Nicholas of the Shelter)
On the right bank of the River Karfotis, in a tree-lined mountainous area, just outside the village of Kakopetria, lies the church dedicated to Agios Nikolaos tis Stegis. Since 1985, along with nine other frescoed Byzantine churches of Troodos, it has















