The Metamorfoseos tou Sotiros (Transfiguration of the Savior) Church
The Metamorfoseos tou Sotiros church is built in the centre of the traditional settlement of Kakopetria and was built in the 16th century (ca. 1520).
The church is built in the basilica style, while externally it is made of stone. It has the capacity to accommodate about 10-150 people.
Old sections of the church’s frescoes, named after hagiographer Simeon Afxentis, were found beneath the floor due to the expansion of the church in 1880 and 1960. Today, many remarkable scenes of the 16th and 17th centuries are preserved.
Particular mention should be made of the following:
- Bimothyros: Above: Represents the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary – Below: Hierarchs Kingdom, Gregory and Nicholas.
- Crucifixion: It is a work of the 16th century of excellent Byzantine art.
- Icon of Christ: image of large dimensions that was transferred from the chapel of Panagia tis Apotheriotissas.
- Icon of the Virgin Mary: an excellent art icon that was also transferred from the chapel of Panagia tis Apotheriotissas.
- Icon of Archangel Michael: an icon of the 16th century, painted on a hard membrane.
- Icon of St. George: moved from the chapel of Agios Georgios and is of outstanding art.
The church is celebrated on August 6th, where the holy image of the Holy Sepulcher is taken.
Location
Churches
Apostolou Louka Church
The church of Apostolou Louka is on a hill and is the first church that you find when you enter the village of Korakou. In the northern entrance of the church, on a stone slab, the date of its construction is carved, 1697. It is a unified church with a
Archangelou Michael Church
The Archangelos Michael church is built in the village of Pedoulas in the valley of Marathasa, opposite the Byzantine Museum. It is one-aisled, wooden-roofed, with a semicircular arch that protrudes to the east. The lower part of the arch is placed on
Chapel of Prophet Elias
Prophet Elias was a sea man but was bored at sea and decided to go up in the mountains. That is why he became the saint of the mountaintops. The chapel of Prophet Elias is built on the hill with his name, in a location with great views. It was built in
Church of Agia Irini
The main church of the village is dedicated to Saint Irene and is located in the centre of the village. It was built in the 16th century but was destroyed by fire and rebuilt in 1910. All that had been saved from the fire was an arch. It is a small one
Church of Agia Marina
The church of Agia Marina was built in 1872 and is located in the centre of Evrychou village. It is the type of single-aisled basilica, which is covered with a simplified form of arched arches and cross-shaped elements that have been established during
Church of Agia Paraskevi
The main church of the Tembria community is dedicated to Agia Paraskevi and is located in the centre of the community, within walking distance of the Primary School. It was built in 1872, as appears on the inscription above the entrance of the church.
Church of Agios Dimitrianos
The temple of Agios Dimitrianos was built in the early 19th century and is located in the center of Flassou village, among its traditional houses. The church is a one-aisled basilica, which is covered in a simplified form of arched arches and crosses.
Church of Agios Nikolaos tis Stegis (St. Nicholas of the Shelter)
On the right bank of the River Karfotis, in a tree-lined mountainous area, just outside the village of Kakopetria, lies the church dedicated to Agios Nikolaos tis Stegis. Since 1985, along with nine other frescoed Byzantine churches of Troodos, it has















