The Sulphur Springs of Kalopanayiotis are located near the banks of the river Setrachos, next to the Venetian bridge.
The healing properties of its sulphur-containing waters have been known since antiquity. In fact, at the monastery of Agios Ioannis Lambadistis, there was a hydrotherapy centre dedicated to Asclepius. People bathed in situ, at the point of the river bed where the water ran from, then they rested in the Asklipion (Healing Temple). After the proclamation of religious freedom and the movement of monasticism, the monastery of Agios Iraklidios was built in the same place and the Asklipion was converted into a Christian Hydrological Hospital.
The hydropathic activity was interrupted during the Ottoman era, it was then resumed, first in the cells of the monastery of Agios Ioannis, and later in village houses of Kalopanayiotis. Hydrotherapy reached its peak during the time period 1920 to 1950.
The healing properties of Kalopanayiotis’s sulphuric waters have been repeatedly been verified with scientific analyses in chemical laboratories in Europe. These waters may be used both for internal use (disorders of the digestive tract, the urinary organs, fatigue, anemia and other skin diseases), and externally, with a bath soak (rheumatic diseases, blood pressure, stimulation of the nervous system, skin diseases, etc…).