The Pine tree of Lavrentou – Panagias Podithou
A tall pine tree stands in the midst of wild vegetation, just a few metres away from the church of Panagia Podithou and within walking distance of the wooden chapel of Archangel Michael. It is a pine (pinuspinea) with a measured height of 18 metres, a trunk circumference of 3.75 metres and an estimated age of 170 years. This pine tree is also known as the “Pefkos tou Lavrentou”, according to one version, the monk Lavrentios, who served in the Holy Monastery of Podithou, planted it before leaving for the Kykkos Monastery.
The nearby church of the Virgin Mary is included in the ten churches of the Troodos area declared by UNESCO as World Heritage Monuments and listed on the list in 1985.
At the dawn of the 16th century, in 1502, the frescoes of the Panagia of Podithou Church in Galata, with Italian-Byzantine-style frescoes, are considered as a stage in the evolution of art in Cyprus.