Church of the Timios Stavros (Holy Cross)
The church of the Timios Stavros (Holy Cross) is located at the exit of the Community of Tembria, on the road to Korakou-Evrychou on the top of a hill overlooking the mountain. Tradition connects its building with the discovery and transfer of the Cross from the village of Lampados, which is located between the villages of Sina Oros and Galata. The church of Timios Stavros was built at the point where the Cross became too heavy during its transfer. It is a 16th-century building that architecturally belongs to the type of wood-roofed basilica. It measures 5 x 15 meters.
The original building – the 16th-century – had some additions in the 18th century, but also renovation works in 1994 and 2010. Specifically, in 1994, the roof was completely replaced, while in 2010, both maintenance of the wood work, the installation of a new floor with old gypsum tiles and restoration of the exterior wall. Unfortunately, the date of the inauguration of the church remains unknown.
Inside, the church is adorned with a wooden, carved 18th-century iconostasis, the creator of which is unknown. The icons inside the church are older than the 16th century, although the church was not built on the foundations of an earlier church to justify the chronology of the icons. Some say that the icons were transferred from the church of St. George that existed in Pera Gitonia and was demolished.
Location
Churches
Church of Archangel Michael
The church of Archangel Michael is a wood-chapel church dating from the 16th century and is very close to the church of Panagia Podithou. Although the church is dedicated to the Virgin Mary, it is more known as the church of Archangel Michael. Its dime
Church of Ioakim and Anni
The church of Saints Ioakim and Anni in the centre of the village is one of the oldest of the Solea region (12th century). It is built in the a single-aisled Basilica style, which carries a wooden, pebbled, tiled roof. The church is built with stone. T
Church of Panagia Asinou
The church of Panagias Forviotissas, better known as Panagia Asinou, is built southwest of Nikitari village. It is the main church of the Monastery ton Forvion, from where its name comes. In an inscription dated around 1105/6 located above the southern
Church of Panagia Chrysopantanassa
The church of Panagia Chrysopantanassa, according to the inscription on the southern door of the church, appears to have been built in 1905. When it was built, it was in the centre of the village, but today, with the extension that the village has take
Church of Panagia of Moutoullas
To the south of the village, on a rocky hill overlooking the area and at a distance of 300 meters from the main road, is the church of Panagia, called “Moutoullas” (formerly “The Most Holy Theotokos of Gerakiotis”). The name of the temple is due to the
Church of Panagia Rodon to Amaranto (Our Lady of the Unwilted Rose)
The village of Kato Koutrafas is located a few kilometres after Astromeritis to Troodos. It is an abandoned village and its few inhabitants are mainly engaged in agriculture and livestock farming. The church of the village is dedicated to the Virgin Ma
Holy Church of Panagia Exartimenon (Our Lady)
The name of the village of Kannavia, probably originated from the fact that in the area, the cannabis plant, one of the main types of cultivation in Cyprus in the past, was cultivated extensively in older times. Of utmost importance, in the history of
Old church of Agios Ioannis tou Theologou (St. John The Theologian)
The small village of Sina Oros (Mount Sinai) in the Solea region is now abandoned, since there is only one coffee shop operating in the centre of the village. Surrounded by an exquisite natural environment, it has an amazing climate and its unique hous















