The Metamorfoseos tou Sotiros (Transfiguration of the Savior) Church
The Metamorfoseos tou Sotiros church is built in the centre of the traditional settlement of Kakopetria and was built in the 16th century (ca. 1520).
The church is built in the basilica style, while externally it is made of stone. It has the capacity to accommodate about 10-150 people.
Old sections of the church’s frescoes, named after hagiographer Simeon Afxentis, were found beneath the floor due to the expansion of the church in 1880 and 1960. Today, many remarkable scenes of the 16th and 17th centuries are preserved.
Particular mention should be made of the following:
- Bimothyros: Above: Represents the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary – Below: Hierarchs Kingdom, Gregory and Nicholas.
- Crucifixion: It is a work of the 16th century of excellent Byzantine art.
- Icon of Christ: image of large dimensions that was transferred from the chapel of Panagia tis Apotheriotissas.
- Icon of the Virgin Mary: an excellent art icon that was also transferred from the chapel of Panagia tis Apotheriotissas.
- Icon of Archangel Michael: an icon of the 16th century, painted on a hard membrane.
- Icon of St. George: moved from the chapel of Agios Georgios and is of outstanding art.
The church is celebrated on August 6th, where the holy image of the Holy Sepulcher is taken.
Location
Churches
Church of Archangel Michael
The church of Archangel Michael is a wood-chapel church dating from the 16th century and is very close to the church of Panagia Podithou. Although the church is dedicated to the Virgin Mary, it is more known as the church of Archangel Michael. Its dime
Church of Ioakim and Anni
The church of Saints Ioakim and Anni in the centre of the village is one of the oldest of the Solea region (12th century). It is built in the a single-aisled Basilica style, which carries a wooden, pebbled, tiled roof. The church is built with stone. T
Church of Panagia Asinou
The church of Panagias Forviotissas, better known as Panagia Asinou, is built southwest of Nikitari village. It is the main church of the Monastery ton Forvion, from where its name comes. In an inscription dated around 1105/6 located above the southern
Church of Panagia Chrysopantanassa
The church of Panagia Chrysopantanassa, according to the inscription on the southern door of the church, appears to have been built in 1905. When it was built, it was in the centre of the village, but today, with the extension that the village has take
Church of Panagia of Moutoullas
To the south of the village, on a rocky hill overlooking the area and at a distance of 300 meters from the main road, is the church of Panagia, called “Moutoullas” (formerly “The Most Holy Theotokos of Gerakiotis”). The name of the temple is due to the
Church of Panagia Rodon to Amaranto (Our Lady of the Unwilted Rose)
The village of Kato Koutrafas is located a few kilometres after Astromeritis to Troodos. It is an abandoned village and its few inhabitants are mainly engaged in agriculture and livestock farming. The church of the village is dedicated to the Virgin Ma
Church of the Timios Stavros (Holy Cross)
The church of the Timios Stavros (Holy Cross) is located at the exit of the Community of Tembria, on the road to Korakou-Evrychou on the top of a hill overlooking the mountain. Tradition connects its building with the discovery and transfer of the Cros
Holy Church of Panagia Exartimenon (Our Lady)
The name of the village of Kannavia, probably originated from the fact that in the area, the cannabis plant, one of the main types of cultivation in Cyprus in the past, was cultivated extensively in older times. Of utmost importance, in the history of















